Nenagh Heritage Centre
The Nenagh Heritage Centre is located in two stone Georgian buildings, built in 1840-1842 as the Governor’s House and Gatehouse of an extensive Gaol complex for North Tipperary, which held thousands of prisoner’s until its closure in 1887. Condemned cells in the Gatehouse held persons who were sentenced to death by hanging. Between 1842 and 1858, 17 Tipperary men were executed here.
Shortly after the prison closed in 1887, it was taken over by the local Tipperary branch of the Sisters of Mercy for educational purposes. The Heritage Centre has been open to visitors since 1984. Information about tourist attractions throughout Tipperary and beyond.